Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Around the World Camp: Egypt

First camp is starting to wind down.  Just 2 more countries for our first world tour.

Our penultimate country is Egypt.

For Egypt, I recruited a little help from actual Egyptologist, and one of my "bestest" friends, Dr. Jenny.  She had some great suggestions for famous places and things (like Alexandria, the Suez Canal, the temples at Luxor, etc.) so it was just mummies and pyramids. She also helped identifying famous ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses and what they rule in the mythology, which was our cultural deep dive for the day.




For our project, we made mummies and sarcophagi.  I wanted to mummify a Barbie-type doll or a chicken wing, but money was an issue, so it was paper mummies and coffins for us.


I started with the mummy.  I printed the outline on cardstock so that it wouldn't bend too much when we wrapped it in crepe-paper bandages.  We used white crepe-paper streamers.  I cut them about 2 ft of crepe paper and suggested they cut their "bandages" in half lengthwise before wrapping their mummies.  Students could decorate their mummies, if they wanted.



Next, the sarcophagus.  I printed on yellow paper, not as thin as normal paper, but not as thick as cardstock.  I recommended that students cut out their sarcophagus and pre-fold, then flip over and decorate the side without lines so their sarcophagus is nice and clean looking.





No comments:

Post a Comment