Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Around the World Camp: Sweden

Had to take a break from documenting my "World Tour Camps" to get the semester started, new lessons planned and prepped, but now I'm back in the swing of things.  So, let's journey on!

Welcome to Sweden!



Last country in our first world tour is Sweden.  My goal for camp was to visit a country in as many different regions as we could get to, so Sweden was my pick for Scandinavia.  Also, our end of camp movie had along run-time so I needed to show the first half hour or so today so they can finish the movie the next day.  That means we had to have country that would be quick to study and a quick and easy project.

Sweden was a quick study for us.  We covered famous people like Alfred Nobel, Greta Garbo, ABBA, and famous brands like IKEA (get the meatballs!).  Our cultural deep-dive was the Norse gods and goddesses.  This was really fun because students knew a lot of the main deities from the Marvel movies.

Our project was to make a Dala Horse.  I found the pattern on Pinterest, but it was for sewing a felt ornament.  I had a hunch my students couldn't sew and wouldn't be able to learn in the amount of time we had, so I copied the pattern on to colored paper instead.  I printed several copies on different colored papers and let students mix and match the parts and add extra decorations as they wanted.  This was quick and easy for them, so we could also start our movie early.





No comments:

Post a Comment