Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Around the World Camp: India

Next stop for our camp was India.  I had a lot of ideas for this one, but time was a concern.  These early camps I used a few too many supplementary videos so our project time was cut short.  Also, these early camps needed projects that were easily accomplished so students wouldn't drop out early.



So, we start with the basics.  India was a little easy for students because they could easily identify famous things like the Taj Mahal or people like Ghandi or foods like curry.  They did learn more about Hinduism, holidays like Dwaili and Holi, and some of the major deities.  (FYI, "Shiva" sounds like a Korean swear word and they will giggle, but to this group's credit they did try not to.  Not all my groups are so respectful.)

For this day's project, we made Indian "bangles" out of toilet paper rolls.  I saw the idea on Pinterest and since Korean kids like shiny things this seemed like a good project for them.  I did need to do a little more prep and shopping for this one.  I started off by painting empty toilet paper rolls (I used acrylic paint in several colors), then cutting the rolls in half both lengthwise and around.  So one roll made 1 pair of bangles.

One roll makes 2 bangles.


To decorate our bangles, I ended up buy glitter glue (you can't get loose glitter here, that I can find) and choose "decorative tape" in different colors and patters.  Decorative tape is kind like gift wrap tape, and the glue on the tape isn't very strong, so a little extra glue was needed.  Another quick and easy project and camp is done for the day!






No comments:

Post a Comment