Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Pizza!

So, no lie, I made real, American-style pizza.  I forgot to take pictures during the process, but the next time I make pizza I will.  Like I promised, all the ingredients can be found in Korean stores.  The end product looked like this:

...and it tastes as good as it looks.

Want to know how to make it?  Here we go:

So, this dough is not the best dough there is, but it is quick and easy.  And it tastes at least as good as a frozen pizza from back home.  It's a no rise crust, so you can whip it up when the craving hits.

You will need:
3 cups All-purpose flour (I get the brown and white bag with the picture of wheat on the front)
.25 oz Active dry yeast (you will need 2 Korean sized packs, or if you get the big bag it's 2.25 tsp)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (its a little expensive at Emart)
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbl Sugar
1 cup warm water

You will put all the ingredients together and mix until the dough forms (I use my hands).  I always let it rest a little so it's easier to spread into the pan.  Easy-peasy.  That's all.

You can make up any sauce you want, or use a pre-made spaghetti sauce, although, I definitely recommend making your own.  You can get tomato sauce here (either at Homeplus or Emart, or a foreign food mart, if you live in a city with one).  You can find onions and garlic easily.  You can get Italian spices (like basil and oregano) in most store, but I brought Penzey's Italian Seasoning from home when I came.  That's not cheating, because you can find the individual herbs and spices here.

You can get "pizza cheese" in almost any store...it's mozzarella-ish...enough to work at any rate.

Add what ever topping you like.  It's hard to find pepperoni, but not impossible.  I get mine at High Street Market in Itaewon, Seoul.  It's expensive and can be trying to get to to (I don't particularly care for Itaewon), but well worth the effort.

Once your pizza is together, bake it at 190C for 25 minutes.  

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment