Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Dubu Jorim

So...this is one of my favorite things here: Dubu Jorim, or braised tofu.

I did not grow up in a pro-tofu world...but once I tried it, I thought that it wasn't bad...even if it wasn't something I thought I would ever crave.  I stand corrected.  I really love this dish!  It's great as a side dish (which it usually it), but sometimes I make it as a main dish.  It's low fat, high in protein, and a good source of calcium and iron so it's really quite healthy.

So, a little Googling and a little trial and error and I think I have it.  Here's how I make it:




You need:
8 oz package of tofu
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1 Tablespoon Soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped green onions (scallions)
3 teaspoons chopped garlic (1 clove more or less)
pinch black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Korean red chili flakes

1/4 cup water
(Water not pictured, but really, did you need to see it?)



 
Rinse, cut and dry the tofu



Heat the oil in a non-stick pan (and trust me...it HAS to be a non-stick pan) and panfry both sides of the tofu.




 
While the tofu is doing its thing, you will make the sauce.  Super easy!  Mix the sugar, sesame seeds, chili flakes, pepper, garlic, green onions, and soy sauce together.  Easy-peasy, right?



Now, that the tofu is nicely fried on both sides, and the sauce is ready pour the sauce and water over the tofu.  Cover the pan (I used aluminum foil since there wasn't a lid big enough for my pan) and simmer for 7 minutes...or until the tofu as soaked up all the saucy-goodness.




Ta-da!  It's ready!  Grab your chopsticks (or fork, if you must) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment