Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Pepero Day

By happy coincidence, today happens to be Pepero Day.  November 11...which I have to explain to students is an entirely different holiday in America, which is why I don't give out pepero.

Anyway.

Pepero is the long stick cookies that are usually dipped in something  (the Japanese call it Pocky...if that sounds more familiar).  Like in this chart:



The story is November 11th (11-11) is Pepero day because the ones in the date look like the stick candy.  I think the superstition is that if one eats Pepero at 11:11 on 11/11 (November 11th) they will become tall and slim like the candy.  (Alas, that ship has long since sailed for me.)  Girls and boys give Pepero to their crushes...or just people they like...as part of over a dozen "couple holidays" that Korea does during the year.

I think it's sweet...and so uniquely Korean.

Last year, I did not get any Pepero....and as of lunch time this afternoon, I had not received any (well, one student gave me a homemade cookie, but not made Pepero-style, so I am not sure it counts, but the love is there nonetheless).  So, I had resigned myself to thinking that this would be another Pepero-less year for Betsy Teacher.  But, just before the bell rang to release students for the day, some of my best and most favorite students came to bring me Pepero...both store bought and homemade!  I am so touched and happy!

This year's Pepero haul!  ^.^


No comments:

Post a Comment