Monday, November 17, 2014

Friday Fives: My Top Five Favorite Things Students Have Said to Me (So Far)

Sorry, for the delay....I had a busy end of the week last week!


I am presenting this one in count-down order...to build the tension to my favorite thing that a student has said to me.

5.Teacher, I love you.

This first time any student ever told me this I was, at the very least, surprised.  I think I said "thank you" in return.  It's just not something American students think...let alone say.  Then my co-teacher explained that students don't necessarily mean it as "I love you", but sometimes use it like "hello" and even as a figure of speech, like say, when they make a good grade on a test.  Anyway, I still choose to believe that it is sweet and flattering.




4.Sun is beautiful like you.

Ok, I'm kind of a sucker for compliments.  And I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE they are true.  Don't burst my bubble.


3. Whhhoooohhhoooo!

Or whatever the spelling is.  So, one of my (current) Grade 3 boys started that this year.  Since I don't teach Grade 3 I don't get to see those students that often anymore.  So, this one student started...let's call it cheering...every time he saw me at school...and even in town sometimes.  Cheering-like-he-has-seen-a-celebrity-type cheering.  Now, several of them do it when they see me.  Yeah, I'm that awesome..or something like that.


2. "Social absurdity"

Almost everything I do has some form of cards involved....I don't know why, but for some reason my students engage better when they can a) make a choice, b) hold something tangible in their hand, or c) both.  This particular assignment (the topic is responsibility) had students select a card with pictures of people in different occupations.  One student had the Police Officer.  The question was "What happens when this person is not responsible?"  His response was that there would be "social absurdity."  One of my new favorite expressions.


And the Number 1 thing a student has ever said to me is:


1. Teacher, you should wear more clothes.

This is no where near as creepy as it sounds.  Last year, as the seasons changed from fall to winter...it was really cold and the heat in the building had not been turned on yet (it doesn't come on until it gets really, really cold).  In the middle of class, I got a dry throat and had a small coughing fit.  Immediately after class, one of my best (and cutest and sweetest) students came up to me and said "Teacher it is cold in here."  So, I had heard that a million times that day and agreed that yes, it was a little cold.  So, then he s told me "Teacher, you should wear more clothes to school"...he meant to keep warm and healthy, but it was the cutest, sweetest, and funniest thing a student has said to me to date.  And one of my favorite stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment