Sunday, August 14, 2016

KoRoot

Edited August 24, 2016: To include posters about the Korean Adoptee and Birth Parents DNA project.


Again, its been a long time since I posted.  I had the WORST summer camp of my teaching career here in Korea.  Honestly, if I had not worked so hard, prepared so many materials, and spent so much of my own money on this camp I wouldn't have cared.  However, during the entire camp planning process I was constantly being pressure to make the camp "fun and interesting" and add more activities...on a budget of about $100 which I was only allowed 40 of it because we HAD to have pizza on the last day...to the point where my job was passive-aggressively threatened if I didn't have a "good enough" camp.  SIGH!  But that is not the point of this post.

This post is to introduce you to KoRoot, a guesthouse here in Korea that is primarily for Korean adoptees.  I've never stayed here, but my impression is it is more for long-term guests.  So, I didn't make the trip for a place to crash.  They also offer NGO services of adoptee issues, and currently are offering DNA testing for Korean adoptees who are long-term residents in Korea and Korean birth parents.



I went about a month ago to get one of the DNA kits.  I'll write a longer post about this soon.

But for now, I just want to give directions to KoRoot.  The directions on their website (www.koroot.org) are not very clear.  It's here in Seoul, near Gyeongbukgung Palace.

If you take Exit 2 of Gyeongbukgung Station (Line 3, Orange line) it is a hefty walk.  You'll walk straight past Chogun Elementary School on the left.  You'll turn left down the alley past  Jihwaja Restaurant.


However, if you take Exit 3, you can catch a bus 7011, 7016, or 7018 up 3 stops to Gyeonggi-do Commercial High School.  Cross the street and take a right down the alley just before Jihwaja Restaurant.

You'll go down the alleyway and KoRoot will be on the right.  For some reason the building did not look like what I expected so I actually walked past it.  The sign is really small.




So, just to help spread the word about the DNA projects, here are the informational posters (in English and Korean).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment