Monday, May 21, 2018

Sun Salutation Challenge

Woke up around 4:30 this morning to the sound of a mosquito buzzing around my head.  Actually, it startled me awake and I flailed around until it flew away...but at any rate I was now wide awake and going after that f-er with extreme prejudice.  It already bit me a day or two before...once on my forehead, once on my hand...and once on my f-ing face.  I don't mean to drop so many f-bombs, but I really hate mosquitoes...I've always welted up when bitten...and they LOVE my blood for some reason...but whatever species they have here cause swelling and fever in the bite and leave rashes that don't fade for weeks...and did I mention it bit me on the face?!?!?  I must not have had too big a feast off of my face because this one actually isn't swelling too badly.



It takes me a hour to hunt down and eliminate the threat, but now I'm wide awake and it's only about 30 minutes before the alarm goes off and I need to take my thyroid medicine.  So I stay up.

I randomly decide to take the "30 Day Sun Salutation Challenge"...having read somewhere that sometimes anaerobic exercise may be more beneficial to people with thyroid conditions...something about our hormones and metabolism being off-kilter so that aerobic exercise doesn't work quite as well as it should.  If you aren't in the know, the Sun Salutation is a yoga sequence that is supposed to stretch and eventually strengthen all (or more accurately "most") of the muscles in your body.  I was quite into yoga years and years ago, got out of the habit the more "adulting" I had to do. I still dabbled every now and then, but haven't seriously practiced in years. Not that doing a 30 day challenge is serious practice.

All that to say I had become quite stiff and lost more flexibility than I realized (not needing many stretches to teach), so with all the grace and fluidity of an obese cat I worked my way through the day 1 challenge.

Still it felt good to stretch...and I could self-righteously pat myself on the back for having gotten up and exercised this morning.  Day 2 is another easy day on the challenge and then they began to increase, but I'm excited to see how I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment