Friday, June 30, 2017

Experiencing Hanbok!

A couple weeks ago was another first time experience for me....and after almost 4 years, it's nice that things can still be new.  My friend Rez and I went to GoGuan Studios for the "hanbok experience."

Full disclaimer, I have worn a hanbok before...I was about 2...and I don't remember it except for the pictures.  At any rate, I've been trying to mark things off my "Korean Bucket List."  And I think hanbok are gorgeous...so flowy and colorful!



There are several...if not tons...of "hanbok experience" places all over Seoul.  Most of them, you just put the hanbok on and take a few photos.  So I was super excited to come across GoGuan Studios because they offered a lot more options.  It's a little more expensive than the other options, but they offer hair and make-up services and have a big "selfie" studio...there's 8 or so different scenes and oodles of props you can use to take pictures.  You can also choose from a variety of hanbok styles, the short "classic" hanbok, a royal palace hanbok, a dancer hanbok, or wedding hanbok.  Palace, dancer, and wedding styles cost a little extra.

I choose a palace hanbok (I wanted to do the wedding hanbok, but without a groom it seemed pointless.)  Rez is a fantastic friend, but I doubt she wants to marry me...lol...she wore a dancer hanbok.  We both went "whole hog" and did hair and makeup.  I was already wearing makeup and thought they'd ask me to wash my face, but nope, they just piled it up

All dressed up!

I was already wearing makeup and thought they'd ask me to wash my face, but nope, they just piled it on top of what I already had on.  Then they stuck false eyelashes on.  By the time my hair was done, my head felt soooo heavy...but I also felt gorgeous!

The studio also does some professional shots...complete with a bit of photoshop.  You get a certain number of photos depending on your package and can always purchase extra.  I'm not a huge fan of my professional photos...they have "Korean style" makeup and photoshop, so I feel like they don't really look like "me", but it was fun to get dressed up and pampered a bit.  Here's my professional shots (or, well, photos of the photos) and they throw in a nice little card to hold them.


Here's a few shots from around the selfie studio.  We spent nearly 2 hours there!  Neither one of us is especially vain or narcissistic, but since this was a treat, we we went all out.

Warrior Princess...so don't mess with me!





I'm Snow White!


It was a little costly...the "Joy" Package...which includes dress, hair, make-up, professional photos, and unlimited selfie time was 60,000 won and it was an extra 5,000 to upgrade our dresses.  So, it was just short of 60 USD.

All in all though, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  It was a lot of fun...to get dressed up and pampered...to enjoy being silly and feeling glamorous for an afternoon.  I'd even do it again, if I just wanted a unique Christmas card, or if I'm ever lucky enough to need to send out wedding invites.

GoGuan Studios is super easy to get to.  It's in Myeongdong.  If you go out Myeongdong Station Exit 6 (or 7 if you're me and lazy and want to take the escalator instead of the stairs).  Head down the street between Uniqlo and Migolrie department store to the first main intersection.  Turn left and just go straight.  It's across from Art Box.  Here's the website: http://goguan08.cafe24.com


No comments:

Post a Comment