Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Getting My Korean On...Chef Style!

It's no secret...I love food.  I love everything about it.  It's one of the few things that is a full sensory experience.  I love reading/watching shows about it...the history and culture of it...I love cooking...and I especially love eating.

I've really been trying to learn Korean recipes so I can take all the wonderful food that I love and share it with friends and family back home.  There are a few basic cooking classes for foreigners (like the entire program only offers around 5 menu items total)...and only then you only get basic information about the dishes.  However, there is one that is absolutely fantastic!
With my fabulous instructor, Ellie!

Food and Culture Academy is just wonderful.  I especially like that they offer a well-rounded menu and also give the option to request off-menu items that you want to learn (time and scheduling permitting).  The main instructor, Ellie, is fantastic...she's friendly and knowledgeable, generous with her time, and her English is excellent.  It's a wonderful facility, clean and easy to find.  They also provide a "photo area" so you can take pictures to show off your handiwork...and a dining area so you can enjoy your dishes.  They also have hanbok (traditional Korean clothing) you can wear for pictures for an additional cost.



Food and Culture Academy is in the Gyeongbukgung Palace area of Seoul.  Take the Orange Line (Line 3) to Gyeongbukgung Station.  Take exit2 and walk straight.  The map on the website makes it look like a deceptively short walk.  It is not.  Even after taking multiple classes here, I still think I should have arrived at the building long before I do.  Essentially, if you don't see the fire station in front of you, keep walking.  The front door is actually around the corner, but you just make the corner to the left, and take the elevator up to the 5th floor.
Galbitang (Beef Rib Soup)
Bae Kimchi (Cabbage Kimchi)
Kakkduki (Radish Kimchi)

Samgyetang (Ginseng Chicken Soup)
Learning to roll kimbap

I can cook Korean!
I have also been trying learning banchan (side dishes) from Maangchi (www.maangchi.com/recipes).  She's been called the Korean Julia Child (which is disappointing because I wanted to be the Korean Julia Child, but such is life).  Her recipes are easy to understand and she includes lots of pictures and videos to help you along.  She also seems very proactive in reading comments and answering questions.  Follow the link and learn some Korean cooking with me! ^o^

No comments:

Post a Comment