Thursday, May 14, 2015

There's Always Time for Dental Hygiene....part 1

Bonus points to you if you know where that quote came from.

If you don't know, it's from Little Shop of Horrors....if you haven't heard of it, go look it up now...I'll wait.

Anyway, on to the story.

It has been some time since I've had a dental check-up.  One, because I hate going, and two, because back home in the States I could never afford it.  But I was having some pain so I thought I should go.



After a quick internet search I decided to go to Hus-Hu Dental Clinic in Seoul ("Number one among celebrities and foreigners"...according to their website)...mainly because they have English-speaking staff...but also, they had many positive reviews online. Also, because it was super easy to get to...Take Line 3 (orange line) to Apgujeong Station, exit 3, make a 180 degree turn and walk straight.  You will cross an access road/alleyway, then about halfway down the the next little piece it is on the left (if you reach the main road you have gone too far)...take the elevator (or stairs, if you aren't lazy) to the 3rd floor.

I have to say that I am consistently impressed by medical offices in Korea.  They are immaculate.  Or is it only the ones that cater to foreign clientele?  Anyone able to weigh in on that?

So, the lobby, looks like this:



I was equally impressed with the bathroom...mainly because it offered real cloth towels for drying your hands instead of paper towels.


Now, one to the procedure.  Like, I said, everything was super-clean and the staff is amazingly caring and professional.  The cleaning was a little rough...isn't it always?  They just scrape and pick and rub...the fluoride treatment is not part of it...but my teeth were squeaky clean afterward.  I was particularly impressed by the place you sit your water cup...it's weighted, so every time you rinse your mouth, the cup is automatically refilled and you have a full, fresh cup of water at all times.

Second, there is a TV screen/computer monitor on the chair.  I didn't get a picture of it...but it's really kinda cool.  The dentist has this mini-light/camera that he uses to take pictures of your teeth.  Then he shows you the pictures and explains (in may case, via translator) what needs to be done/has been done.  This became particularly cool since I ended up having some cavities to be filled.  He showed me where the cavities were, and after they were drilled out the how deep they were, and eventually the brand new fillings.

So, having fillings done...that is a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment